Richmond Personal Injury Law Blog
According to a survey conducted in 2010, about 34% of the adults in the US possessed a gun and nearly 19% of the adults owned a handgun. On average, about 700 accidental deaths and injuries occur in the US every year. But what is the reason for such high rates of unintentional deaths and injuries? Contrary to popular belief, factors such as mental illness, stress levels or drug consumption have little to no association with these accidents. A general report reveals that in a majority of cases, accidental gunfire mishaps involve children below the age of fourteen. However, these kids don’t commit such crimes knowingly. Most of the deaths or injuries by accidental gunshot take place due to one or more of the following factors:
• Kids usually don’t realize that the gun with which they are playing is loaded.
• Some accidents involve drinking and accidentally shooting a household guest or acquaintance.
• A number of gun owners have accidentally killed themselves while cleaning a semi-automatic handgun or disassembling a pistol at home.
Despite our best efforts, accidents do happen, and it is important that we know how to deal with the situation. If you or a loved one has been the victim of an accidental shooting, you may be able to obtain compensation for damages. This is when you will need the help of a reputed and experienced law firm. Contacting a personal injury lawyer will not only help you to evaluate what kind of claim you can file, but you will also gain support through a traumatic period of your life.
In order to claim damages, however, you need to establish a few things, such as:
• The victim is visiting the home and is not the gun owner
• The gun owner should be the owner of the house or have homeowners insurance.
• The nature of the shooting was accidental.
Remember that the laws concerning accidental shooting are very complex and take into account several facets of the law. Therefore, it is always advisable to seek the counsel of an experienced and reputable lawyer.